talking linux palm?

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 12:34:23PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
> "Stein Erik Skotkjerra" <steines@va.enitel.no> writes:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I am also very interested in finding an accessible PDA running linux.
> > I've done some research, and the iPaq seems like a good choice.
> > The h3600 is the most common model to run linux on.
>
> That is certainly true. What did you find out about keyboards? I think
> we really need a mini-keyboard for a PDA to be useable. And the iPAQ
> just doesnt have one.
>
> Right, as extension for external use. But is that really so good?
>
> --
> CYa,
>   Mario

I had my hands on Sharp's Zaurus SL-5500 for a few moments recently and it
seem to be a nice Linux PDA.

Here are three excerpts from
http://www.pdastreet.com/boards/LinuxPDAs/messages/118.html
press release in early December 2001:

"The Zaurus SL-5500 features Sharp?s high resolution color reflective LCD
screen technology, a cleverly designed integrated QWERTY keyboard with a
sliding cover, dual expansion with a Compact Flash? and Secure Digital
card slot, a powerful Intel&#61666; StrongARM® 206MHz processor, 64MB of
standard memory, and an MP3 and MPEG1 multimedia player offering
professional consumers and corporate users a next-generation mobile device
for all their business and personal needs, from mobile communications to
mobile multimedia and entertainment."

"The Zaurus SL-5500?s 64MB standard memory, 16MB Flash ROM, an
Intel&#61666; StrongARM® 206MHz processor and an integrated QWERTY
keyboard create a near in-office experience by making it quick and easy to
access, input and manage data remotely. In addition, the Linux®/Java?
platform allows for seamless integration with existing corporate
applications."

"The Zaurus also comes equipped with an extensive software applications
package. This includes Personal Information Management (PIM) software
(with address book, calendar, calculator, text editor, to do list and
clock with a built-in stopwatch) and a PC synchronization program for
Microsoft&#61666; Outlook&#61666;. A POP3/IMAP4/SMTP-capable email client,
Internet browser (displaying pages in HTML format) and an integrated Media
player (MP3 or MPEG1 files) are included in the Zaurus SL-5500 performance
package. To permit quick and easy data synchronization with PCs and
trouble-free connection with peripherals, the device also comes complete
with a docking station that features an integrated USB cable, A/C adaptor
and serial port."

--
Rafael
      ***  Microsoft is to free computer use       ***