installing brlspeak.

over the years, I've installed many of the linux versions blind - oriented
or not... one thing I noticed is they just ain't simple.  I mean simple for
everyone regardless o knowledge level.

there's a movement afoot in the mass market to simplify linux so you never
have to deal with it... like windows did for dos... of course that may or
may not have been a good idea, but imagine your mother trying to run
linux...
'nuf said right?

My thought is this.  Assume there's such a thing as a generic computer out
there... which there is starting to be:

some kind-o-pentium with a processor from severa vendors (yes yes, I know
pentium means intel, but linux isn't that picky)
if we assume a generically huge  hard disk and of course a sound card, how
complex would the cm be to come up with a distribution or just a bootable cd
(problem in itself) that would at least talk out of the box...

recorded .wavs would be less desirable then tts, but might do in a pinch...
at least enough to bootstrap someone...  preferably without having to own
various kinds of somewhat compatible assistive technology products.

It woulden't even have to be a full system, but it must easily migrate to a
full installation.  I'm thinking maximize stability and do our best to keep
the change monsters from getting out of control.

just imagine a free or inexpensive cd shoved into a dirt cheap computer ($50
for a reasonably powerful machine these days)  and bang, net access...  and
alll the gnu software you could want.

the big challenge is the darn installation...  every dist has it a tiny bit
different, and nothing seems quite bullet-proof.

it's been about a year since I installed linux... maybe I should just
document where the hitches are these days.

anyone have any thoughts?