Some more problems

Hello Krishnakant,

On 24 Jun 2002 19:26:04 -0000, Krishnakant wrote:
> Firstly My cd rom doesn't mount with the /dev/cdrom command with
> mount.  What is the problem.  It says invalid device /dev/cdrom.

What distribution are you using? This is essential
to understand what the problem is. Different Linux
distributions have slightly different ways of doing
the same thing, and mounting CDs is one of them.

Try the command "ls /dev/cdr*". If it returns 0 files,
try doing "df -h" to list all devices. Then, insert a
cd-rom into the cd drive and do "df -h" again: it should
list the new device as a "full" disk if you have automount
enabled.

Try "dmesg" to obtain the boot-up message and search
for a line that contains cd-rom: this will probably list
either the device used or the problems encountered while
probing the hardware.

Finally, try this:

sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/xxxx /mnt/cdrom

Or this:

su root
mount -t iso9660 /dev/xxxx /mnt/cdrom

Replace the /dev/xxxx part by the correct device.

> By the way if there is some one who can send me the zip archive of
> gnu emacs manual please send it at krmane@rediffmail.com so that I

You can download this manual from the FSF site, at the
following sites:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-20.7/emacs.html
http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-21.2/emacs.html

Unless you don't have access to the www. In which case,
please indicate this important fact when requesting
documentation <grin>.

Hope this helps!

--

Gil Andre          gandre@arkeia.com