LINUX ON LAPTOP

Hi!
Today I tried to install Redhat 7.2 on my Compaq laptop.
With the use of the floppy disk we created of my system files, my personal
assistant or support worker managed to boot to DOS and with Fips managed to
partition my drive.
However, my CDROM drive wouldn't boot when the first Installation CD was
inserted so he had to use rawwrite to create a boot image disk for Redhat.
We managed to start the installation for Redhat but the problem was we kept
getting error messages so we had to terminate the installation.  Also my
Compaq laptop is one where the CDROM drive and floppy drive are
interchangable which means you can't run both at the same time, you have to
have either the CDROM drive or floppy drive.
Could anyone possibly give me any advice?
Could it be that 7.2 doesn't support laptops and that the higher 7.3 version
of redhat or a different flavour of Linux should take me through the
installation without any problems?
The installation problems occured after the welcoming screen for Redhat
Linux.
Will I have any problem wif I ever get to the part where I will have to
switch drives from my Boot image disk to my CDROM to continue the
installation of Redhat?