video problem.

Hello,

I'm helping a friend of mine install  Redhat 7.2.  The installation went
fine.  By he accidently skipped the Xconfigurator.  After the installation,
we started teh process of  ocnfiguring the Xconfigurator by using the
utility.  The probe found the correct card, and teh correct memory.  It also
suggested the horizontal and the vertical rates.  Since it is an old card
and an old monitor, we suggested he tchage the settings to lower than
suggested.  But when testing the system, his screen started wen gray, and
his monitor light fluctuates between green and Megenta.

He doesn't have speech installed.  So I helped him login without the screen,
and tried to replace the /etc/X11/XF86Config with a backup version.  That
doesn't work.  The bootdisk created after the installation doesn't work.
When he boots up the system, he gets the same type of behavior from his
screen.  He can go into windows without a problem.

I did the following.
Had my friend login with his login and pass.
then had him login as root with the password
just to be certain, I had him change the permitions on /etc/X11/XF86Config
to 777 so that he can delete it.
used rm to remove the file.
copied the original config from a backup directory to /etc/X11/.
the results are the same though.

Does the system need to be reinstalled?  It's not a problem if it does.  He
just installed it.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Pratik Patel
Managing Director