Bookshare.org and Linux

One more, Gil:

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Gil Andre wrote:

> I am sorry? Since when intelligence has been more important
> than good looks? <grin>
>
> Sorry if this sounds very cynical, but, frankly, this debate
> has been hashed and re-hashed in countless flame wars. The
> end result is always the same: go with what is most popular.
> Meaning...? Good looks, of course! Sad, but oh so true. Most
> people will take the convenience of nice, properly-formatted
> RTF file over the simpler, plainer, less "cute" HTML file.

Well, again, I must disagree.

Book Share is not a corporation in the sense that Microsoft is.
Book Share is a U.S. 501(C)3 which means that it is in the
business of serving a social need, not of making profit for its
owners. Book Share's social business is serving the access needs
of blind people who clearly benefit from structural markup and
not good looking output.

And, structural markup has won out in blindness. Please look at
http://www.daisy.org and at http://www.loc.gov/nls/z3986.

Yes, we have structural markup in a brand new ANSI standard--one
that Book Share claims to support in its technology and service.
I'm calling on them to live up to their advertising on that
point.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development