microphones and recording

I finally solved my microphone problem and was able
to record a sound sample using the
sound-howto example.
e.g.  dd bs=8k count=4 < /dev/audio > sample.au

I looked at aumix to see if it supported a record function. But
all it does is enable or disable the devices at least insofar as
I can tell.  Is there a command line based recording
utility that will let me press a key to begin recording,
another to stop and a  third to quit with the recording in
WAV format?  Hearing a playback of the recording would be nice but not
essential since I have plenty of sound players.

Thanks.

Rudy