irc sed bash help

I like to chat on irc, and I use braille output.
In order to keep up on a busy channel I must filter the irc output heavily.
I have always done this on shells by piping the irc thru sed.
But this is not working on my home linux box.
irc -d nickname irc.network.net | sed -f scriptfile

this works fine on my shell accounts,
but on my home machine, I get no braille output.
Maybe the output is going to the screen,
but I need it to come out /dev/ttyS0 like everything else.
I am using ircii, bash and redhat 7.1 on a pentium.
Thanks for any suggestions.