buying a laptop

Hi Kris!

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:07:37 +0200, Kristoffer wrote:
> I need help with buying a laptop wich i can run linux on.

This is something that comes up again and again. My advice
is always the same: go to http://www.linux-laptop.net and
check if the machines are supported by Linux. This web site
is simply the best source of information for Linux on
laptops.

> Can anyone tell me wich of these who is best?

IBM laptops have an excellent support for Linux. I
recently installed Red Hat 7.2 workstation on an
IBM Thinkpad A20 and it works perfectly. Toshiba
are pretty good, too, but they may have less support
for Linux.

> also can you please tell me if you have tested these with
> windows and jaws.

No, but I don't think Jaws/Windows should be a problem.
You may get better sound through "normal" speakers,
though. One piece of advice: use walkman-style "earplugs"
if you want to have good relationships with your co-workers
after a long day at work... <grin> (I can't stand the
sound of Jaws machine, personnally!)

> also can ou tell me what the computers looks like.
> if the floppy and cd rom are internal or external
> or such things.

This is completely different for every supplier.
IBM laptops, as far as I know, usually have an
internal CD-ROM drive/burner and an external floppy.

Toshiba (my wife has one) usually have both floppy
and CD integrated, like most HP models. I have seen
laptops where both were removable and could be
attached externally through special cables, etc.
"Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV) as they say...

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

--

Gil Andre          gandre@arkeia.com