recording to sound files

I'd like to create voice messages by recording from a microphone plugged into my
sound card.

The simple approach described in the general sound how-to didn't work.
I tried  plugging a microphone into  one of the two jacks on the back of
my sound card, and following the steps described in the
sound how-to.
 Neither jack worked.

Can anyone reccommend a good step by step or tutorial on how to get this
working?

I've located my sound card by tracing back the speaker
cable to where it plugs into one of three
miniature stereo jacks on the sound card.

There are two other jacks and a DB type connector on this card.  There is
no documentation or markings. Internally the software thinks it is a
soundblaster.

Am I correct in assuming that one of the other stereo jacks is
the microphone input?

Does anyone know what that  9 pin DB connector is for?

Thanks mightily for any help.

Rudy