recording to sound files

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, A. R. Vener wrote:

> Internally the software thinks it is a soundblaster.  Am I
> correct in assuming that one of the other stereo jacks is the
> microphone input?

On my version of the genuine soundblaster, the center one is the
microphone jack.  Make sure you have the right type of mic.  It
must be one of the powered electret ones made for computers --
very inexpensive.  Dynamic ones don't work.  These take a plug
that is just like a stereo plug, but one of the leads is used for
power, I believe, not stereo.  Then use a utility like aumix
(which can be used from the command line) to set the microphone
input to a reasonable level, and to record:

aumix -m Record -m 80 -m query

for recording at 80 percent input volume or, more tersely:

aumix -mR -m80 -mq

-- L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid