woody root.bin

Mario Lang <mlang@teleweb.at> writes:

> Boris DAIX <Boris.Daix@insa-lyon.fr> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>    I'd like to build a root.bin image for getting hand on
>> floppy-install for Debian GNU/Linux Woody.
>
> We just tired that, and I'm afraid it just doesnt fit onto the root.bin.
>
> But if you dont mind using three disks, I developed
> a method to load brltty from a separate disk.

Where do the /etc/brltty stuff goes ?

> Check ftp://ftp.tugraz.at/incoming/debian
> for the files I just sent over to kajarii for first time
> real-world testing.  I tested the procedure in theory
> (without having a brailledisplay connect) and it worked.

I would try it as soon as possible :-) I have two debian testing dists
to install by yesterday... I wait for your erratum on url given.

> The whole idea is that we load brltty via tar
> from a disk directly.  The only modification
> I made to root.bin is essentially editing /etc/init.d/rcS and
> inserting
>
> echo "Please insert BRLTTY disk and press ENTER"
> read ret 1 </dev/console
> cd /
> tar xf /dev/fd0
> /sbin/brltty

Very, very interesting !

> So, read the file INSTALL in the ftp directory,
> and try it.  Please tell me if that worked for you, and if
> it is a useable solution at all.

I'll do report when I'd have tried it. But how do you modify the
root.bin ? 'cause I can't take over mounting it, and source package
boot-floppies can't compile (libs needed conflict each other...) ?

Thank you a lot

> --
> CYa,
>   Mario