yast and yast2

How would I use suse with speech, just got a network card, 3c509xt, or
something like that, they have t1 at the dorm I'll be bringing the computer
to to use, so now I have a linux playground so to speak, can try any
distros I can download. Is it hard to get going with speakup? If not, how
would I go about modifying a boot image and using it, currently have redhat
7.1.