Using loadlin

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Prasad Chaturvedula wrote:

>       What I meant whether I would be doing something wrong if I changed the
> option to readwrite. My linux ext2 is on /dev/hda6. I tried making a

Quite possibly.  Normal boot sequence goes like this (in part):

1. Root (/) gets mounted ro (readonly) so that a fsck (filesystem
check and possible repairs) can be done (dangerous on a mounted
and rw active filesystem).

Then in the system initialization scripts:
2. Root gets the fsck
3. If successful, root gets remounted rw with a command similar
to this:
mount -n -o remount,rw /
That can also be done by hand, without changing lilo or loadlin.

4. Else if the fsck fails, you are dropped into system
maintenance mode, and the root password will be immediately
demanded (unless the system initialization scripts are broken, as
Red Hat's was back around version 4.2).  If you are in this mode,
type "runlevel" and you should see that the first number output
is "1", aka "s", aka single user maintenance mode (the second
number is the last runlevel, probably "N" (none).   If this
correct, manually fsck root:

fsck -f /

You'll likely get a lot of errors, since apparently the normal
fsck in the boot scripts failed for some reason.

5. Then you can remount as above, and run lilo, etc.  Mounting a
filesystem with errors can lead to severe, unrecoverable,
filesystem damage (eg, re-install, lose data).  Usually
filesystem errors are caused by improper shutdown, by newbie
pushing the power or reset button, or more likely, power glitch
(momentary power loss) or outage.  We don't include crashes,
because they are so rare (except I had some buggy hardware on one
machine that would hose it).

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html