Using loadlin

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 10:48:13PM +0530, Prasad Chaturvedula wrote:
> Hi folks,
>     I have a dual boot machine with Linux & WIN98. Recently I added a second
> hard disk to my system. I also had to reinstall WIN98 because of a
> virus problem. From then, I have been unable to boot into linux. One of the
> members of the list guided me to boot into linux with loadlin and a kernel
> image vmlinuz. But the file system is mounted read only since this is
> specified in the linux.bat batch file used for this purpose. I am not able
> to do any useful work in Linux. Neither can i can i edit a file or reinstall
> lilo.

Why don't you change bat file?

>      What should i do now to boot linux properly and how do I reinstall
> lilo?
> Thanks in advance for help.

I'm not familiar with loadlin since I never use it but there is one thing
you can try if you can't change bat file to boot in RW mode. After you
bootup in read only mode, create bootable floppy disk with command

dd if=/boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0 bs=18k

That should create bootable floppy disk with the original kernel on your
system.

Not knowing which is your Linux drive it's hard to say what else to do.
I would run

rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hdc

assuming your linux is second master drive. After rebooting from floppy
you should be able to get linux running as before. Then you login and fix
lilo or better yet grub.

>  Prasad
> Never let yesterday's disappointments overshadow tomorrow's dreams

Good luck,

--
Rafael