From: "Martin McCormick" <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 7:27 AM
Subject: Re: synthavoice computers out of business

I am sure that the concepts could be ported, but the
actual process of porting any of the GUI screen readers to X
would be a ground-up project to say the least.

A lot of C these days is pretty standard so that C or C++
programs written on one platform will compile on another if it
also has a standard sort of C compiler like GCC, but Windows
screen readers were developed specifically for Windows and
probably use every Windows trick in the book in order to work as
well as they do.

I believe that there are several flavors of X floating
around and all of them have structures and engines in them that
do graphical things which might look kind of Windows-like, but
they may be put together in a totally different way from an
internal standpoint than the same Windows application was.

How's that for vague generalities.

Martin McCormick