xc won't compile

---1463811584-1100067083-1012880126=:1050

Here's a script that will help, I hope.  You will probably
have to remove the libtermcap-devel package (or whatever it
is called on debian), since termcap is now obsolete.
Usually such packages will compile with little if any
change, with recent versions of ncurses (backwards
compatibility stuff in ncurses), but not if the development
termcap junk is present.  This script is set up on that
assumption (to compile with ncurses):

#! /bin/sh
: ${UID:=$(id -u)}
case "$1" in
   -n) N=-n ;;
esac
xcinstall(){
   make mandir=/usr/share/local/man/man1  binown='-o root -g uucp' $N install
   }

case "$UID" in
0)
   make mandir=/usr/share/local/man/man1  binown='-o root -g uucp' $N install ;;
*)
   make CDEFS='-D_POSIX_SOURCE=1 -I/usr/include/ncurses -D_BSD_SOURCE=1'  \
      LDFLAGS='-lncurses editline/libedit.a'
      echo "To install, rerun this script as root (here's what it will do):"
      N=-n xcinstall
   ;;
esac

exit
End of script ---------

A separate copy is also attached, for your convenience.  Modify
as needed (install dirs, etc).

You will also have to do something appropriate about permissions,
so it can access the modem port and lockfile dir.  The make
install.suid target mentioned in the README no longer exists, but
the strategy mentioned there works.  I don't know if it is safe,
though: the minicom documentation specifically says that it is
NOT safe to give it (minicom) any suid or sgid perms, and why
(loaded with format string vulnerabilities).  Maybe something
could be done with consolehelper in /etc/security that makes
sense (if you have the usermode package, and PAM)?

I have sent a copy of this to the maintainers listed in the
READMEs: Note to them -- I recommended the xc package on this
blind linux users list, over minicom, which poses more problems
for speech and braille "displays".  Is it still being maintained?
How about adding the enclosed RedHat build script (perhaps as
part of a .spec file (I might make one, if it will be
included))?  This was for xc-4.3.2

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to lcr@onewest.net

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html

---1463811584-1100067083-1012880126=:1050

IyEgL2Jpbi9zaA0KOiAke1VJRDo9JChpZCAtdSl9DQpjYXNlICIkMSIgaW4N
CiAgIC1uKSBOPS1uIDs7DQplc2FjDQp4Y2luc3RhbGwoKXsNCiAgIG1ha2Ug
bWFuZGlyPS91c3Ivc2hhcmUvbG9jYWwvbWFuL21hbjEgIGJpbm93bj0nLW8g
cm9vdCAtZyB1dWNwJyAkTiBpbnN0YWxsIA0KICAgfQ0KDQpjYXNlICIkVUlE
IiBpbg0KMCkgDQogICBtYWtlIG1hbmRpcj0vdXNyL3NoYXJlL2xvY2FsL21h
bi9tYW4xICBiaW5vd249Jy1vIHJvb3QgLWcgdXVjcCcgJE4gaW5zdGFsbCA7
Ow0KKikNCiAgIG1ha2UgQ0RFRlM9Jy1EX1BPU0lYX1NPVVJDRT0xIC1JL3Vz
ci9pbmNsdWRlL25jdXJzZXMgLURfQlNEX1NPVVJDRT0xJyAgXA0KICAgICAg
TERGTEFHUz0nLWxuY3Vyc2VzIGVkaXRsaW5lL2xpYmVkaXQuYScgDQogICAg
ICBlY2hvICJUbyBpbnN0YWxsLCByZXJ1biB0aGlzIHNjcmlwdCBhcyByb290
IChoZXJlJ3Mgd2hhdCBpdCB3aWxsIGRvKToiDQogICAgICBOPS1uIHhjaW5z
dGFsbA0KICAgOzsNCmVzYWMNCg==
---1463811584-1100067083-1012880126=:1050--