How Do You Use Linux?

Gina's answer puts me in mind of a phenonomen at work among linux users
for which there is no parallel. This is something only linux users do ...

It is quite ordinary and common for one linux user to assist another linux
user by logging onto the other machine through the Internet. Of course,
that other user has to provide a root level account--meaning that the
person coming in through the net has to be trusted. The point is that this
is quite easy to do on linux. And, the result is that we can help each
other out directly and quickly by making modifications that allow people
to get maximum use from their linux computers quickly--before they've
really learned how to deal with them themselves.

I participated in such an exchange recently. I was in the U.K. recently on
business. I arranged to drop by the home of an old friend and install
linux on an old computer he had lyeing around. I partitioned the hard
disk, and performed the installation. After rebooting and connecting to
the network, I went back to my hotel to pack for my trip home to the
States. A mutual colleague in Colorado continued the configuration of this
new talking linux computer over the Internet--from 8 time zones away.

I believe this kind of remote maintanance provides a new business
opportunity for some of us to help others of us out. I believe it would be
possible for someone to monitor the functionality of several hundred
systems anywhere around the world via Internet, perhaps using some scripts
to keep this task manageable. This remote service provider could be
responsible for application upgrades, and various other system tasks
involved in keeping talking computers working at optimal fuctionality. For
this, they might get paid some modest sum monthly. I think those among us
wo just want a working computer would pay something for that security.