Connecting to the Internet ; editing LIO; setting up the sound card

Well, after getting your mail I went to the system.conf file and changed a
few lines around to send the log files from pppd from the messages file to a
new ppp file.  I then used the tail -f command to read that file as its been
written.  when I use wvdial I don't think it tells pppd to write a log by
default.  In any case nothings being written to the file.  On the output
from wvdial I get as far as the line "Starting pppd on [date]" then it just
stops.  I've tried a few pppd commands in different consoles such as pppd
debug CONNECT '\d\c' or '\client' with no success.  A line that I typed did
connect but couldn't validate my log in information This as I understand it
is because wvdial passes the user name and password to the ISP not pppd.
The Line that I used to connect with pppd was /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS3
57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v   ''   'AT&F0'   OK   ATD1891110110
CONNECT   '\d\c' " That line is from memory so excuse me if I have written
any mistakes.  I realize that I have the modem speed very low, this is
because I wanted to make sure that any faults were not as a result of speed.

Could the problem be that wvdial can not find pppd?  I doubt this as it says
starting pppd but at this stage anything's possible.  Or, Could there be a
line missing in wvdial.conf?  The last line that I have is password.

Darragh