Connecting to the Internet ; editing LIO; setting up the soundcard

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Darragh wrote:

> Well, after getting your mail I went to the system.conf

You mean /etc/syslog.conf?

> file and changed a few lines around to send the log files
> from pppd from the messages file to a new ppp file.

Not possible to send just pppd lines off to a different
file.  You can only control "facilities", such as "daemon",
which affects other things than just pppd.  It's a bad idea
to mess with syslog.conf, unless you really know what your
doing.  Use the:

logfile /var/log/pppd.log(or whatever)

option to pppd instead (you can put your options in the
/etc/ppp/options file).  Syslog will still send stuff to the
usual logfile at the same time: don't try to change that.

> I then used the tail -f command to read that file as its
> been written.

Good approach.  You could also just do:
tail -f /var/log/messages

We monitor the messages file on a separate tty (virtual
screen) all the time with a similar option to the "less"
command.

> In any case nothings being written to the file.

And now you know why.

> On the output from wvdial I get as far as the line
> "Starting pppd on [date]" then it just stops.

Which is what it's supposed to do.

> I've tried a few pppd commands in different consoles such
> as pppd debug CONNECT '\d\c' or '\client' with no success.
> A line that I typed did connect but couldn't validate my
> log in information This as I understand it is because
> wvdial passes the user name and password to the ISP not
> pppd.  The Line that I used to connect with pppd was
> /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS3

ttyS2, or ttyS3?  (change in script below, as necessary).

> 57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v   ''   'AT&F0'   OK
> ATD1891110110 CONNECT   '\d\c' "

Yes, these pppd commands are broken.  Chat is a dialer you
use as an alternative to wvdial, to dial up your ISP, not at
the same time: chat is a bit trickier to configure than
wvdial, but more reliable and flexible (I prefer it).  Do
you still have your copy of the example chat script I sent
to you earlier in this thread?  Wvdial fails with my ISP
around 5% of the time, for no identifiable reason.  Chat
always works.

The Red Hat connection scripts I mentioned to you earlier
generate a pppd command something like this, depending on
your configuration:

#!/bin/sh
# The actual ppp startup command that is generated by
# RedHat ppp startup scripts is stored here each time
# we start up, from a modification in
# /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp

# Cut first word off for direct use (commented out):
# exec \

/usr/sbin/pppd -detach lock modem crtscts asyncmap \
00000000 defaultroute user Darragh remotename ppp0 \
/dev/ttyS2 115200 ipparam ppp0 linkname ppp0 noauth \
debug \
logfile /var/log/pppd.log \
connect "/usr/sbin/chat  -f /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0"

# ***** end of script -- cut here ****

Make sure you install that last chat script file (the quoted
argument to the "connect" option).  Note that the ppp
command is all one line: I used backslashes to "hide" the
newline for continuation lines, so that the mailer couldn't
mung the long command.  I added the debug and logfile
options.

Actually, you can store all the options in the pppd options
file mentioned, and just start pppd as root (see "man pppd"
for details).

You mentioned something about authentication problems: it
may be that your ISP uses PAP authentication, instead of
logging in directly through your chat script or wvdial
(again, see the man page).  You should be able to figure out
what is going on, and debug the connection process by
watching the log files, as you guessed.  Post actual copies
of problematic parts of logfile output, in context, if you
have more questions, along with the options and
configurations used.  Do this in labeled attachments if
voluminous, so that listers need not all read the nitty
gritty details.

After you get it all working:

Red Hat has a scheme where ordinary users can start pppd
safely: see "man usernetctl" which is really called from
scripts detailed on that man page.  You don't want to have
to become root everytime you connect -- root power should be
used as sparingly as possible.  Never make pppd SUID root.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html