Connecting to the Internet ; editing LIO; setting up the soundcard

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Darragh wrote:

> Now, I'm getting as far as wvdial asining the computer an
> IP address, then it says connecting to pppd on "date" but
> doesn't go any further.  It is dialling though so I'm
> getting there slowly but surely.

Well, it sounds like you have fully succeeded in getting
your modem to work, if it is logging in to your ISP with
username and password, which seems to be implied here.  When
wvdial invokes pppd, it is done, control is passed to pppd,
and any output from then on will come from pppd.  The pppd
output normally goes through syslogd (you don't want to see
any of it while you are reading email, browsing, etc), and
syslogd normally adds it to /var/log/messages.  Any problems
pppd reports there (hopefully none) are due to
misconfiguration of pppd.  Maybe you are online!  In any
event, congratulations for this step forward: your average
new user just isn't tenacious enough to go through what you
have, in order to get a winmodem working.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html