redhat bootdisks with brltty

I know what's going on.  Your laptop and your desktop do not share
identical disk formats for floppy disks.  The disks you were sent will
work with your desktop machine since that's probably standard format, but
your laptop has a different and possibly proprietary disk format in use.
Software exists to analyze disks and detect the formats used on odd
machines though that stuff runs in dos.  You'll need to search something
like the simtelnet archives to find it though probably in the
msdos/diskutls directory.