Connecting to the Internet ; editing LIO; setting up the soundcard

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Shaun Oliver wrote:

> how can I make the kernel think that
> its an Athlon.
> the answer is simple.
> You need to recompile the kernel.  However, if you've had no experience

Or even simpler.  Just install the athlon kernel Red Hat
provides:
kernel-2.4.18-3.athlon.rpm from the CD (out of date,
insecure)

But you need the updated version anyway:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/athlon/kernel-2.4.18-10.athlon.rpm

It used to be traditional to recompile your kernel with each
new patchlevel, from the beta kernel version 0.99 days, when
I started, but now I have better things to do with my time:
Red Hat maintains it for me, with all the hundreds of
modules (drivers).  You may need speakup: see the speakup
site about that (still not complicated -- just follow the
recipe).

And what will you get for your trouble?  You will NOT be
rewarded with a noticeable performance difference, unless
you are operating a heavily loaded server, not the personal
home machine you have.  So the reason for the upgrade is
primarily for security and bug fixes.

Note that installing an athlon optimized kernel WILL NOT
make your modem work (but your driver module package
architecture must match if you download the right binary
package -- among many other more important things).

Oh, and be sure to read the Red Hat advisory about the
kernel upgrade, and carefully follow the procedure they
direct you to -- or your system will be bootable only with a
rescue disk.  You should be subscribed to the RH mailing
list for announcements (and probably their help list, too),
so you get these advisories, and know where to get the
previous ones.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html