Connecting to the Internet ; editing LIO; setting up the soundcard

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Darragh wrote:

> I've made a few advances today.  I downloaded two drivers
> for the modem one was I686 and the other for Athlon.  The
> one for I686 detected the modem but got no further but the
> one for the Athlon processor didn't find it at all.

Well, no one is likely to be able to help with info this
vague.  You did not post the URL where you got it, the
package name, whether it was source or binary, whether you
can compile source packages (success would be far more
probable with source, even though it would be only partial).
And specifics about your machine would be necessary, and a
reminder about your exact modem model, brand, etc -- ALL the
particulars.  And the output of "lspci -v", lsdev, "cat
/proc/interrupts", and also similarly the one for the ports,
and any other relevant info.

> The reason that this is so strange is this computer is
> running an Athlon processor but yet Linux sees it as an
> I686.  I was briefly thinking that if Linux correctly
> detected the processor, would the modem driver that runs
> with the athlon processor work?  If so, how can I make the
> kernel think that its an Athlon.

Not strange at all: it's the kernel that matters most here:
the driver must be compiled for that kernel version and
architecture, since it is presumably a kernel module.

You clearly don't understand enough about linux yet to wend
your way through such a complicated problem as getting the
proper driver and getting it working, which is pretty
normal, and to be expected.  And it would be very difficult
to guide you through it on a list for which it is really off
topic, and without enough info.  Look at the Linmodem HOWTO
and web sites that other posters told you about, and see if
there is a mailing list you can join where you can get help
from other masochists <grin> who insist on running what many
of us regard as junk modems (even if you get them "working"
-- in a fashion).

The bottom line here is that getting a winmodem, linmodem,
or other software based modem (or win-printers, or anything
else of that type) to work is a task for advanced users
only, and a questionable, experimental enterprise even at
that: such drivers are likely to be unstable and of low
quality, and may even make your whole system unstable.  It's
not likely that any such drivers are at a gamma or
production release level or similar quality, or ever will
be; certainly, the ones at the web site I gave you clearly
state that they are no where near such quality, and take
they pains to warn you about that; they're not kidding or
just only making a legal disclaimer.  They include
unsupported propriety binary code, too: my advice is never
to accept hardware that requires proprietary driver code
under linux -- that's generally a warning sign of poor
quality, and future support problems (are you prepared to
throw out such hardware when you get a kernel upgrade, and
you cannot recompile the code, because you don't have
source)?  I am, therefore, opposed to supporting them for
new users, lest they give Linux a bad name (you certainly
won't get any help from me).

Such hardware can be obsoleted when there is a windoze
upgrade, too, for similar reasons: M$ says that one if the
biggest reasons for the well known Windoze OS instability is
poorly written 3rd party drivers (and for once, their claims
are credible).

Your best bet is to junk it, and get an external modem
(external modems cannot be implemented as winmodems, or
require special drivers).  An external modem should be easy
to set up -- indeed, it would possibly be automatically
detected and configured for you during bootup, by the kudzu
utility.

So now I have helped you, after all, more than if I had
guided you through installing a buggy driver for inferior
hardware.

Good luck and best wishes, LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html