talking handheld

I bought Sharp Zaurus PDA device at last Linux world expo in San
Francisco. I'm very pleased with it and it's the most promising PDA in
my opinion. Briefly, it has 64 MB of main memory, CF port, memory stick
port, cradle port, sound input and output, tiny keyboard, and infrared
port. Cradle port can be used for serial or USB type of connections.

I haven't used sound on it yet but it's possible to play mp3 files which
makes me think that one should be able to install software that
generates sound output. It's possible to use audio input from microphone
or whatever other source to record into file. Sound output works with
headphones and can be connected to amplifier with speakers. Sound demo
at the tradeshow was impressive.

Besides original OS, one can overwrite it with openZaurus, which
excludes commercial software like Opera (web browser) and office tools.
Open source of course provides many of the tools we enjoy in other
versions of Linux or Unix.

I downloaded programs like console which gives me access to bash and
other GNU tools. Having wireless card inserted in CF port (compact flash
memory) I can connect to wireless network to get email, browse the
internet, etc. I haven't tried lynx yeat but have no dubt it works as
expected. Another important tool I use is openssh.

Backups are simple, Zaurus creates tar file on CF card that can be dealt
with on any Linux desktop. Files can easily be transfered between the
machines using CF card. I haven't tried memory stick yet but assume it
works just like CF does.

In short, I recommend Sharp's Zaurus for it's flexibility, support for
open source, and computing power. It's graphical part of software could
be removed to gain memory space for the blind specific tools. Perhaps
some kind of speech generating software could be installed on it. Ever
growing density of CF memory makes it possible to keep bigger and bigger
files in PDAs. If I come across anything like that I'll let you know.

I keep a list of Zaurus related links on
http://www.linwin.com/zaurus/index.html

Rafael