Secure FTP

scp is actually quite simple for most purposes. This command
scp gw:/etc/passwd /tmp
will copy the passwd file from my computer to the /tmp directory on my
computer.

You can, of course, copy from your computer to a remote one:
scp my-delights gw:/tmp

You can also use wildcards in the usually Linux manner:
scp gw:/var/ftp/pub/* /tmp
and the most likely switches are
 -r for recursion
 -q to turn off the progress meter
 -p to preserve permissions, timestamps etc.
 -C to turn on compression, you would want this if there's a modem or other
slow network between you and the remore computer.

If ssh is configured to work without password prompts, then scp will too.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.