Speakup questions

Geetha:

One more suggestion, and I'm sorry if I overwhelm you with ideas!

If downloading 10 mB is unworkable from your side of the planet, here's
yet another very good shortcut to a talking Linux.

Be sure you've installed the kernel source rpm. Look at
/usr/src/linux-2.4. if you see files, you've got it. If not, it's on one
of your CD ROMs in the RedHat/RPMS directory. Install with a similar rpm
command:

rpm -iv kernel-source*

Next, cd to /usr/src and create one more symbolic link which the Speakup
patch will look for:

ln -sf linux-2.4 linux

Now, you can cd to linux/configs. In there you'll find the Red Hat kernel
configuration for each supported cpu. Find the one for your cpu and copy
it to ../.config, so that it is in /usr/src/linux/.config.

Now, after patching the source files with Speakup, you can simply issue
this command:

make oldconfig

And you'll only be prompted about Speakup specific things.

This should help insure you don't make a mistake in the dozens of
configuration choices and end up with a kernel that won't boot. We know
that your installation boots. It's highly advisable to add Speakup before
trying out other configuration changes--if any. This way, Speakup is the
only change you'll make.

The rest of the process remains the same:

make deps; clean; bzImage; modules; modules_install; install

And, you still need to edit /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo as before.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175