From: "John J. Boyer" <director@chpi.org>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: income tax online

Hello,
Janina has very good points about the law. However, I would like to ask
a more technical question. I'm trying to get involved with Gnome
accessibility. How will the development of such accessibility and the
consequent ability to use Mozilla or Netscape, affect the accessibility
of Web sites in general?
Thanks.
John
On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Janina Sajka wrote:

> Martin:
>
> Thank you for your willingness to take on development effort. I am
responding to clear up a non technical point, or rather one that has
nothing to do
> with technology, but everything to do with the law.
>
> Under Section 508, the U.S. Government does not get off the hook
because some authoring tool doesn't support accessibility. And, in AFB's
view, when it
> comes to U.S. Government information systems intended for use by the
public, it doesn't suffice that it works with only a particular piece of
> proprietary anything. It must, in our reading of the law, support the
public, not some particular technology.

> In all honesty, I think a great part of the problem is that too many
of the responsible officials define testing and cross-platform to mean
"it works
> with Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP, so we're OK." While I expect
Microsoft might like this definition of cross-platform, it is not the
definition I
> learned in school, and it is not the definition that we should accept.
>
> In  the end, the government is on the hook to deliver. Whatever any
technology provider claims or delivers, it's the government agencies
that can be

Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org
825 East Johnson; Madison, WI 53703