kernel patching

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 07:06:14AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> I ended up replacing that red hat standard issue kernel with Bill Acker's
> kernel.  Just copying over the original file didn't work.  I had to rm the

When you deal with the kernel it's not a good idea to copy the newer one
over the old one. I always keep at least one working kernel for recovery
in case the new one fails to work.

In order to do that you need to create appropriate entries in lilo for
multiple kernels otherwise you machine might become unbootable from the
main drive. Another good idea is to dump a good working kernel on floppy
disk

dd if=/dev/vmlinuz-good of=/dev/fd0 bs=18k

That will normaly help you out in case of boot problems from the main
disk.

LILO example for two kernels:

boot=/dev/sda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
linear
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2smp
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.2-2smp.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda1

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
        label=linux-up
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.2-2.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/sda1

where I have two kernels to choose from at boot time. There is more to
kernel issues like modules, maps etc.

--
Rafael