fdisk mystery

fdisk is not a Redhat package. It's packaged by Redhat in its
distribution, but that's not the same thing.

Also, the "custom" part of the install refers to package selection--well
past the disk partitioning part which seems to be where you're stuck.

And, since you're stuck on partitioning, why not just partition using some
utility you already know? Like DOS' fdisk, for example? Or PowerQuest
partition magic. It isn't necessary to do it in linux. Diskdruid can turn
whatever fat partition you have into a linux native partition if you
simply specify that as the file system type. There's really no need to
create the partitions using a linux tool, if you're unfamiliar with them.

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Okay, I try using fdisk and the simulation Rafael provided helped some.
> However I got on a table and tried entering +150M for the upper limit of
> my first primary partition cyllinder and was told the value was out of
> range and the highest I could go was 3.  I wish red hat would start
> labeling things more completely and accurately, it would help out those of
> us installing for the first time.  As things stand now, I don't think I
> wrote the changes to the disk so possibly nothing is lost.  I'm going to
> need an a/b switch for this speech synthesizer before this installation
> process is over.  As a fallback, given I cannot do this custom
> installation before tonight and certainly not at the meeting since it
> takes very long to do it how would I get a workstation installation
> installation of red hat 7.0 that was installed with whacker@octothorp's
> boot disk talking?  If there's some people at the meeting tonight I can
> probably get the info on fdisk, but how to get a silent install talking
> none of them will know.  I will find another local member of the penguin
> club I can talk to by phone as my next installation attempt happens
> they'll at least be able to look at the print documentation for me.
>
> Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp