(no subject)

Hi, Jude:

I'll put some comments inside your post.

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> install problem I went through the redhat install tonight.  Had better
> luck this time than last but something's puzzling me.  First, when I did
> this install I removed all partitions from the hard drive with fdisk that
> windows had left on the hard drive.  Next, I chose a workstation
> installation
Comment: Not necessarily the best choice. Unless you've a particular
Comment: Not necessarily the best choice. Simplest and most complete--and
best for beginners--is to select custom, then to hit the 'end' key when
the package selectin dialog comes up. That puts you on the 'everything'
selection. This is a better choice, unless you're worried about disk
space, it's the right choice.

 \ and answered questions about host name
(didn't really know
> what to put in that slot since I haven't got my own domain yet).
Comment: Doesn't really matter. You're naming your machine, much like you
might name a pet. I assume you'll connect to the network somehow. Your
gateway ip, your dns numbers, those things will matter for connecting. But
your hostname is your free choice--with some caviats that aren't worth
going into here.

  Then the
> packages installed.  When the type of gui interface came up, I tabbed once
> onto blank and tabbed once onto ok and selected that which installed gnome
> on my system.  I don't figure to use gnome but having x11 on the system
> will make it possible to install and get nethack running.  The x11 is
> required on your system or nethack cannot be put on it and work.  Then I
> selected the video monitor generic and allowed xconfigurator to test and
> naturallyb it found problems.  So I skipped out of there and I did get a
> boot disk and allowed the system to reboot itself.
Comment: Well, you seem to have a working linux system. You just don't
have a speaking linux system. More on this below. All is not lost--though
you may just be better off doing the install one more time, since you
don't have anything in the way of data and configurations to lose.

  There was lots of
> writing files writing after the post test and then I hear this (@) sign
> from my speech synthesizer.
Comment: Yep. Linux is scanning for new devices. The "at" is exactly what
the doubletalk/litetalk does when it's probed.

  A few more files get processed and that's all
> I hear.  If I hit the return no effect.
Comment: You're probably sitting on a GNOME login. That's the
default--unless otherwise specified, which it seems you missed.

Do this: Do an Alt-Ctrl-F1, type your login name and press enter, then
type your password and pressenter. This should put you in a text console.
You can tell for sure by pressing backspace which will beep to indicate
that you can't backspace beyond the beginning of the line. If it does
you're in bash, and we can probably get you talking--though a reinstall
may still be advisable! <grin>

  The thing is, not once did I hear
> lilo requesting or allowing me to give it parameters.
Comment: You may have missed it during the install. It's definitely there.
Let's back up a bit. Where did you get the installation files from? Are
they from Bill's site? Second question, what version of Redhat is this?
This matters because the latest, the very latest Redhat 7.1.94 has
switched from defaulting to the very accessible lilo boot loader to using
the not quite as accessible grub boot loader.

  So is it time to
> reconfigure or reinstall linux?
Comment: Well, you can certainly configure and you can certainly add any
packages the 'workstation' selection missed. But, if you're very new to
linux, it just might be easier to do the install again and do it just a
little differently.
 > > Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp