Installing RH from Windows over a null modem

Well, it looks like you covered most of the bases, except that
you missed the RedHat Installation manual.  I checked the one on
their website, in the textmode installation section, at:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/install-guide/s1-start-install.html

entitled "Starting the Installation Program", and it says:

   Note that the command to start a serial installation has changed.
   If you must perform the installation in serial mode, use the
   following command:

    boot: linux text console=<device>

   In this command, <device> should be the device you are using
   (such as ttyS0 or ttyS1).

So apparently you were very close, needing just the "linux"
kernel keyword at the beginning.  I don't know if you can add
the baud rate.  Hope this is what you need.  You could subscribe
to one of the RedHat mailing lists if this doesn't work, and get
good help there, no doubt (and any linux user should at least
subscribe to their distribution's announce list -- default
installs are the number one security hazard on the internet,
regardless of the OS, so you MUST install the security patches).

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html