FreeBSD Access (Was Re: ultrasonix )

	I am not an expert on the different flavors of Netfinity
boxes, but the two I have seen are the Netfinity 4000 and the
ones I set up were slightly different.  They came with a CDROM
and a single 1.4-meg floppy.  They had 1 gig of RAM and an 8-gig
hard drive plus an empty bay for another drive if one so desires.

	One thing about the Netfinities is they are definitely
designed for server farms and other similar installations.  They
are what are commonly called pizza boxes in that they are only
about 2 inches thick so a lot of them can fit in to a rack.  The
serial port on the back is also used for a special management
module that runs all the time even when the power to the P.C. is
supposedly turned off.  The management module spits out
occasional garbage characters so you see funny things on your
screen when you hook up your access device.  It isn't a lot of
garbage, but every few seconds a stray punctuation mark will
appear.  When you start the FreeBSD serial console, however,
the management module goes to sleep and you get a serial session
with no trouble.

	IBM only supports SUSE Linux on their Netfinity boxes,
but they were very nice to us and shared what information about
FreeBSD they did have.

	Your development environment is the familiar gcc family
of tools so if you need to program in C, have at it.

	I found that the newer distribution of gcc didn't like
some of my old programming routines, but the changes needed to
fix them were rather minor.

	I think you can get Netfinity systems with no operating
system so you start from scratch.  I simply did the whole
formatting routine so if there was any Windows stuff on there to
start with, it is long gone now.

Martin