found the redhat speakup disk, installed, using boot kernel tostart the machine, and a big error

	I now get an error when booting rh 7.1 that says that it can't write the
module file needed by depmod. That's probably because my system has the
boot disk kernel, the D copied a nontalking kernel, so I overwrote it with
the boot disk one, but it's looking for modules in the wrong place. How do
I fix this. I'll need modules to get my modem going. Next, how do I get
linux to shut my system down just like windows does? This machine has one
of those soft power controls, where my old one had a regular switch. How do
I fix this so it starts working?