cygwin?

You really should be using a DOS screen reader with a hardware synth while
Cygwin is running.  But if you can't do that, try running the RXVT program
after starting Cygwin's BASH shell (the default installation).  This makes
the Cygwin screen look like a Windows screen to Window-Eyes.  I haven't
succeeded in getting Window-Eyes to recognize the caret (Cygwin's cursor as
displayed by RXVT), but doing a "route mouse pointer" operation puts the
Window-Eyes mouse pointer at the Cygwin cursor position.  By default, you
have a screen of about 50 lines and more than 140 characters wide in
RXVT/Cygwin.  I made an RXVT.000 set file, but it doesn't do anything
special except make the entire RXVT window a Speak window.

Shutting the stuff down can be a trip.  You have to type Exit in RXVT, and
then again in your DOS box, which you find from the task bar.  I could
probably fix this by refining my batch files a little.