synth emulation

Hi everyone,
  I was just wondering if there is a piece of software out there whichcan
emulate a synthesizer using a linux box?

Say I have a laptop running linux and I can make it's serial or usb port
pretend to be the business end of an accent SA...  then I could easily
connect that to any machine somewhere... and I could even transfer the
software from the notebook to the other machine I need to get it up and
running as a synth.

I have a loftier goal in mind, but this is the first part of my plan to take
over the known world.

any thoughts?

thanks,

Joel