hard-coded page breaks

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 12:41:39AM -0500, Bill Gaughan wrote:
>=20
> Q. How do I hard-code a page break character (CTRL-l) in a text documen=
> in linux?

I'm no expert in efax! Quick look into man pages, I extracted sections
that might be helpful:

FAX FILE FORMATS
       efax can read the same types of files as efix(1) including
       text,  T.4 (Group 3), PBM, single- and multi-page TIFF (G3
       and uncompressed).  efax automatically determines the type
       of  file from its contents.  TIFF files are recommended as
       they contain information about the image size and  resolu=AD
       tion.

       Each  page  to  be  sent should be converted to a separate
       TIFF format file with Group 3 (G3) compression.   Received
       files  are  also stored in this format.  The EXAMPLES sec=AD
       tion below shows how efix and other programs can  be  used
       to create, view and print these files.

EXAMPLES
       Creating fax (G3) files

       The efix program can be used  to  convert  text  files  to
       TIFF-G3  format.   For example, the following command will
       convert the text file letter to the files letter.001, le=AD
       ter.002, etc,:

              efix -nletter.%03d letter

       Sending fax files

       The following command will dial the number 222-2222  using
       tone  dialing  and  send  a  two-page fax from the TIFF-G3
       files letter.001 and letter.002 using the fax  modem  con=AD
       nected to device /dev/cua1.

              efax -d /dev/cua1 \
                   -t T222-2222 letter.001 letter.002

       For example, the following command will make the fax modem
       on device /dev/ttyS1  answer  the  phone  and  attempt  to
       receive  a  fax.   The  received fax will be stored in the
       files reply.001, reply.002, and so  on.   The  modem  will
       identify itself as "555 1212" and receive faxes at high or
       low resolution (vr=3D1), at up to 14.4 kbps (br=3D5).

              efax -d /dev/ttyS1 -l "555 1212" \
                 -c 1,5 -r reply

You might want to use print spooler for sending faxes

       You  can  configure  a  "fax"  printer  into the lpr print
       spooler that will fax a document out using efax instead of
       printing it.  This allows a network server running efax to
       send faxes on behalf of other machines, including non-Unix
       clients.  In the following steps use the directories spec=AD
       ified in  the  fax  script  if  they  are  different  than
       /usr/bin  and  /var/spool/fax  (FAXDIR).   To set up a fax
       printer do the following as root:

       (1) Create a link to the fax script called  ``faxlpr''  so
       the fax script can determine when it is being invoked from
       the print spooler:

       ln /usr/bin/fax /usr/bin/faxlpr

       (2) Edit /etc/printcap and add an entry such as:

              fax:lp=3D/dev/null:sd=3D/var/spool/fax:if=3D/usr/bin/faxlpr=
:

to define a printer called "fax".

       You should now be able to send a fax using the lpr  inter=AD
       face by using a command such as:

              lpr -P fax -J "555 1212" file.ps

Thre is also efix program to convert between fax, text, bit-map and=20
gray-scale

>=20
> I can't seem to do this in PICO. I need to do listening logs for a sale=
> manager at a radio station and I need separate reports for each station
> log, but I want to fax or e-mail a single file. Believe it or not, I st=
ill
> do this in WordPerfect 6.0 for DOS because it works, and I know the WP =
fax
> manager services. But, I want to do all this in linux. Is there anythin=
> other than efax (they insist on faxes unless if I want to do e-mail I h=
ave
> to do a word attachment as .doc. they don't know what to do with .txt
> attachments or inline e-mails. They are not too techy, if you know what=
> mean.
>=20
> Q. are we talking a simple text editor here like VI or PICO and then
> sending a .txt file through efax? But, I need to do hard forced page
> breaks.

There is another program filter that can be used to convert plain ASCII=20
files into postscipt: mpage. I use it to print two regular pages=20
sideways on one page to save paper but that could be sent to "fax=20
printer" instead.

> Like I said before, I want to use linux myself but still be able to
> communicated with sighted people and other blind people who don't
> know about or care about linux, and I want to be able to do more
> than just e-mail to them. I want to make it look to them like I am
> using windows without them necessarily knowing that I am using
> linux. If you know what I mean.
>=20
> Thanks for the suggestions. -- Bill Gaughan
> wgaughan@snet.net
>=20

I'm sure others will have better ideas but that all I can come up this=20
late at night.

Good luck,

--=20
Rafael