brltty and simultaneous grade 2 translation

[quoted lines by John J. Boyer on November 26, 2001, at 13:10]

>I prefer a pointer and a length also. I think it would be a good idea to
>have a global variable containing the length of the Braille display, so it
>wouldn't have to be passed.

I prefer passing it via a parameter so that, should the imagination kick in, we
can get more inventive regarding what gets translated when.

>I can pass back an aray of the position in the
>input buffer of each character in the output buffer, but I feel a bit
>uncomfortable about doing cut and paste in Grade 2 because Grade 2 isn't 1
>for 1. I would probably turn off Grade 2 before doing cut and paste.

As long as the array identifies non-first characters of sequences, BRLTTY could
easily enforce that only the first character of a sequence can be used when
cutting. Better yet, the first character should be used for the start of the
selected text, but the last character should be used for the end of the
selected text. The array, however, need only mark the first character of each
sequence, as BRLTTY could easily figure out the rest.

EMail: dave@mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.