brltty and simultaneous grade 2 translation

Dave,
The Grade 2 translation should be on-the-fly and should affect only as much
information as will fit on the display. Translating the whole screen at once
would probably be a bad idea. One way the Grade 2 translator could work
would be to pass it the place where the translation is to begin. It will
then translate as much as will fit on the display and pass back  the place
where it ended. When the user advances the display it would resume where it
left off.
The translation tables should be provided in a form that is easily edited,
so that users can make changes and write tables for new languages. A table
compiler would probably be advisable to preprocess the tables before they
are actually used in translation.
A keystroke on the Braille display can toggle between Grade 2 and the
present display mode.
The table can be "compiled" when BRLTTY starts, or even recompiled
on-the-fly with a special keystroke.
We can do better than Jaws, which doesn't have user-accessible tables.
John

Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org
825 East Johnson; Madison, WI 53703