ssh

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Luke Davis wrote:

 > Um, you sure it is using SSL?
if he is not sure I am sure about it.
It doesn't use ssl for connecting.
For connecting it use the RSA-algorithm whihc also can be used for
authentication.
In that case, place a publci-RSAkey on the remote host. Then you can use
your RSA-privatekey to connect and thus you don't need a password on the
rmote host.
THis is actually a very good method to allow someone temporary root-access
by placing thre public-key in your .ssh.autorhized_keys file.
ssh is more a replacement for rsh/rexec/rlogin and not of telnet and ftp.

One thing more, you can't replace an ftp-connection by ssh, unless you have
a shell-account on the remote site.