Technical Question (was Digital Talking Book Standard )

Martin:

It sounds like you're extrapolating from experience with analog systems
that achieve similar results. Fortunately, the science has become much
more sophisticated. I say that's fortunate because the results can be much
much better than those we've heard on analog tape decks.

Generically, the process is known as "Time Scale Modification." I bet a
good way to begin to come up to speed on that would be a google search on
this phrase.

 On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Martin G. McCormick wrote:
>
> > 	My question is whether or not it is possible to sample at
> > rates that are deliberately non-standard in order to simulate the
> > effect of a continuous speed control.
>
> You can't expect most soundcard to do any samplerate.
>
> > 	This may sound totally off-topic, but a digital Talking
> > Book player has to be able to vary its sampling rate in order to
> > emulate a speech compressor.
>
> Absolutely not.  The technique to do that involves duplication and/or
> supression of signal patterns based on period windows.  This is perfectly
> doable in software without altering the samplerate at all.  Since this is
> performed numerically you can have much better results than any conventional
> methods.
>

> Nicolas

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp