Technical Question (was Digital Talking Book Standard )

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Martin G. McCormick wrote:

> 	My question is whether or not it is possible to sample at
> rates that are deliberately non-standard in order to simulate the
> effect of a continuous speed control.

You can't expect most soundcard to do any samplerate.

> 	This may sound totally off-topic, but a digital Talking
> Book player has to be able to vary its sampling rate in order to
> emulate a speech compressor.

Absolutely not.  The technique to do that involves duplication and/or
supression of signal patterns based on period windows.  This is perfectly
doable in software without altering the samplerate at all.  Since this is
performed numerically you can have much better results than any conventional
methods.

Nicolas