the Papenmeir device that was supposed to be coming out

It seems that our European friends insist on braille devices far more than
we Americans do. Over on this side of the pond, speech outsells braille.

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Luke Davis wrote:

> Tommy
>
> We could toss stats for hours, and not get anywhere.  I have mine, you
> have yours', and it really doesn't matter.
>
> For the record, in my personal case, I have tried em all.  No matter.  I
> am far faster with speech.  I suggest that this may apply to a good
> portion of the rest of the working blind as well.  I don't know that it
> does, however, and I will not posit that it does, nor claim that it is
> "how it should be".  Each individual is different, and there is a 50%
> chance a particular person will go one way or the other (not considering
> those that will use both).
> However, one can not say which way anyone will or should go, and one
> should  not claim to any degree that one method "is more productive than
> another",  because that, as I said, is only 50% true.
>
> Luke
>
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Tommy Craig wrote:
>
> > Hi Luke,
> >
> >     I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone either. I do believe that
> > statistically though I am on safe ground. One statistic is that 80% of blind
> > people are unemployed and that 80% of the ones who are employed are Braille
> > users. I based my statements on my experience and on the people I have
> > worked with and trained throughout the years. Of course there are exceptions
> > to every rule. I also believe that there is a huge difference in the Braille
> > display you are using. For example, using an eighty character display is
> > much more productive than using a 20 or 40 cell display.
> > Tommy

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp