Custom

Karl:

This appelation is easily removed. Edit your Makefile. You'll find
"custom" applied about four lines into this script as "EXTRAVERSION."

PS: The issue of an appropriate modules directory is handled by the Redhat
install scripts. In other words, if one does:

	make modules
	make modules_install

with a Redhat installation, the scripts will create
/lib/modules/2.4.X-Ycustom as appropriate. So, at least with Redhat, this
is actually not a problem.

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Karl Dahlke wrote:

> This is of interest to people who fold Jupiter, Speakup, or Brass into their own kernels,
> or anyone who rebuilds the kernel for any reason.
>
> I found that somewhere around 2.4.7, Linux throws you a curve.
> And believe me, I was swinging high for several hours!
>
> If your kernel is, say, version 2.4.8,
> your newly built kernel will be version 2.4.8custom.
> The word custom is tacked on the end.
> This means all modules are taken from
> /lib/modules/2.4.8custom, a directory that (probably) doesn't exist
> on your system.
> No modules means lots of things won't work.
> Probably your network connection, possibly some of your drives.
> And some drivers, such as the 3com network drivers,
> *must* be built as modules, and loaded that way.
> I was quite frustrated, until I figured this out.
> I made a symbolic link from 2.4.8custom to 2.4.8.
> That's probably not what Linus wanted me to do.
> He probably wanted me to make a new directory
> and replicate all those modules,
> my own custom modules.
> But guess what?  I didn't feel like it.
>
> Karl

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp