From: blinux-list-admin@redhat.com
[mailto:blinux-list-admin@redhat.com]On Behalf Of Karl Dahlke
Sent: 10 November 2001 10:31
To: blinux-list@redhat.com
Subject: Custom

This is of interest to people who fold Jupiter, Speakup, or Brass into their
own kernels,
or anyone who rebuilds the kernel for any reason.

I found that somewhere around 2.4.7, Linux throws you a curve.
And believe me, I was swinging high for several hours!

If your kernel is, say, version 2.4.8,
your newly built kernel will be version 2.4.8custom.
The word custom is tacked on the end.
This means all modules are taken from
/lib/modules/2.4.8custom, a directory that (probably) doesn't exist
on your system.
No modules means lots of things won't work.
Probably your network connection, possibly some of your drives.
And some drivers, such as the 3com network drivers,
*must* be built as modules, and loaded that way.
I was quite frustrated, until I figured this out.
I made a symbolic link from 2.4.8custom to 2.4.8.
That's probably not what Linus wanted me to do.
He probably wanted me to make a new directory
and replicate all those modules,
my own custom modules.
But guess what?  I didn't feel like it.

Karl