trying to get dos to boot from lilo

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> I think now that it may not be able to get this disk to boot;  this is
> dos6.2 which is pretty old; the drive it had worked on before was a win98
> installation.

Well the lilo README in /usr/doc/lilo-* (or /usr/share/doc),
which is really a text version of the postscript manual, says:

  MAP-DRIVE=<bios_device_code>  Instructs chain.b to installs a resident
    driver that re-maps the floppy or hard disk drives. This way, one can
    boot any operating system from a hard disk different from the first
    one, as long as that operating system uses _only_ the BIOS to access
    that hard disk.* This is known to work for PC/MS-DOS.

      *  So you should be very suspicious if the operating system requires
        any specific configuration or even drivers to use the disk it is
        booted from. Since there is a general trend to use optimized
        drivers to fully exploit the hardware capabilities (e.g.
        non-blocking disk access), booting systems from the second disk may
        become increasingly difficult.

> I went into dos and did fdisk; I had to change to disk 2 in the
> program, and when I went into the option for activating a dos
> partition, it said only partitions on disk 1 could be made
> active.

If I remember right, when lilo is on the MBR, the boot active
flag is irrelevant (you might want to double check the manual
cited above -- it explains the boot process in more detail than
the average person would want or need).

> Theoretically, the use of "map-drive" might work around this
> problem, but I don't think it works in this case.

Quite possibly, as the passage quoted above shows.

> So it looks like I either just keep on booting into dos with a
> floppy, which is no big deal, or experiment with dosemu, or a
> combination of the two.

Dosemu is a great utility, runs most things, and is highly
configurable.  I downloaded the dosemu from Caldera a few years
ago, and they included DR-DOS with it, for free.  DR-DOS is far
superior to any dos ever produced by M$, including the Dos 7
bundled with win9x, and can be substituted under win9x for the
native M$-DOG 7.  Yes, win9x is STILL a graphical add on for
MS-DOG, just as win3.1 was: Caldera won a huge settlement in
their lawsuit against M$, partly because of the illegal
monopolistic bundling (the ability to substitute DR-DOS was a
great court demo, as you can imagine).  You might go to their
site and see what you can get now.  They split into 2
subsidiaries: calderasystems.com, and Lineo, which has been
marketing DR-DOS for embedded systems, but the dosemu packages
may be in the calderasystems.com web or ftp directory tree
(haven't been there in a while).  Of course, DR-DOS can also be
used independently, and includes real, usable multitasking and
networking, along with a superior help system.  Caldera uses
their own changed rpm packaging scheme, so you may have to
convert with the alien utility, or something.

Dosemu from other distributions includes a developing freedos,
with a bunch of unix like shell utilities for dos, which helps
the normal DOS brain damage a lot.  I don't know whether freedos
can run independently yet: it actually might not matter.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html