ViaVoice

Gena,

I'm not using ALSA, at least not right now.  I've looked at the notes for
Emacspeak's Outloud server, and it seems that it has similar problems to
my daemon.  Apparently there is a known bug in ViaVoice that causes it to
have problems when speech is started and stopped in rapid succession, and
I am probably just running into the same bug that Raman ran into.  I'd
like to get my daemon to handle communicating with the sound driver; I
figure that that may or may not help.

I just wish ViaVoice was open source.  Since it isn't, we have to wait
until IBM releases a fix.  I should really investigate the open-source TTS
synthesizers (ie, festival)

--Michael Gorse, WPI CS '01 / ICQ:22583968 / http://www.wpi.edu/~mgorse/ --