blinux is there another programme apart from BrlTty for braille o utput with linux

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Ian Blackburn <iblackburn@gesb.wa.gov.au> wrote:

> 	Good morning i use braille at moment with MS Windows looking at
> linux (long look sorry smile)
>
> 	i am not looking at x windows yet  what I read for BrlTty looks good
X-window isn't accessible yet, not easily accessible anyway.

> 	want to also know where I can find a list of programmes to use with
> linux at command line
So far as I know there doesn't exist any _exhaustive_ list of all
applications available in console mode for linux and, anyway, I think
you would grow tired a long way before you ever finished reading it. :)
Here are a few pointers, if you really want to have an idea of what's available:
-- Sunsite: an archive of a great many apps with short descriptions
	(most of the time) of what each program is about, some are programs
	for x some are for the console.
	ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/
-- Debian package list: If you want to have an idea of what's available
	prepackaged in a decent linux distribution.
	http://packages.debian.org/stable/

> 	things like a word processor with spell check
The combination emacs/ispell works perfectly for me.

> 	a spread sheet,
I don't use spreadsheets myself but I can name two working solutions for the
console by memory: sc and siag
> 	data base and scheduler (very important)
There are good dedicated programs for that too, but you can also use emacs
as scheduler. (You can use emacs for more things than you can dream of)
> 	internet and e-mail programmes
I'm overwhelmed just trying to come up with a list that wouldn't leave any
good alternative out, there are so many, I'd even advise you to try several
and decide for yourself which you like the best.

You must understand that linux isn't like windows (or even DOS); in windows
you only have a few alternatives (if not only one) when it comes to such
things as word processors, general office applications or even mail user
agents. In linux it's the complete opposite, in most cases you have a plethora
of valid and respectable choices and you are the one to decide which of these
alternatives suits your needs the best.

Regards,
S. Massy