Rescue/Boot Floppies, Big Kernels

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Andor Demarteau <ademarte@students.cs.uu.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Karl Dahlke wrote:
>
>  > loadlin I think.
>  > But they just try to boot and put you up on a cd.
>  > I don't think they give you a functional linux internet ready system
>  > just from a couple of floppies.
>  > Correct me if I'm wrong.
> no, not loadlin but O forgot what it was.
I believe it is called syslinux; it lives on a FAT16 floppy and you can have
either one kernel/root floppy or one kernel and one root (two floppies
system.), all this from memory, so maybe I've missed a few details.
> Yes, you have to boot form 2 disks nowadays. Rescue.bbin and root.bin
> The install-system a leasts holds some repair-tools and things like
> ifconfig/route
That's right, you can get a shell right from the boot floppies and the
installation from CD is just an option, you can also install from a network,
so I assume there must be a minimal set of network utilities as well.
> if you'd strip-out the install (dbootstrap) utils, you might have a nice
> basis.
BTW, there are now some utilities designed especially for floppies or
rescue situations. I'm thinking of sash here (stand alone shell, if I
remember correctly) which is a statically linked shell with essential
utilities such as ls/cp/dd built in; I think it even has a version of
tar built in. Also there's another small binary which is meant to
replace several utilities, again here utilities such as ls, cp, etc; I
believe it reacts differently depending under what name it is invoked,
but I forgot what it's called. That sort of utils can make building
rescue floppies much easier.