Rescue/Boot Floppies, Big Kernels

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Karl Dahlke wrote:
 > Yes, but it's not that hard.
 > The commands are straightforward, like delete and retrieve etc.
 > I've done it before, when my mail client wasn't working, or whatever.
 > I could write a one page summary on how to get/send mail through telnet.
try using smtp next? rfc822

 > Right.
 > I believe the mod I installed handles 3c590 and 3c900[abc] cards.
 > Should I try to support some of the older 3c5xx cards?
only older pci-card might be helpfull.

 > It looked fine, but wouldn't uncompress and run properly.
 > It just sat there, with a kernel panic on the screen,
 > that I couldn't read.  Frustrated the hell out of me.
 > It happened at about 650K, which is where I'm at now.
 > Maybe this bug has been fixed in 2.4,
 > which is the kernel I'm using.
 > I'll give it a try.
I've always used large kernels of all the firewall-stuff I'm usually
playing around with. Never had troubles.

 > I also have to think about the general utility of the system.
 > I'm already pushing the limits of my wife's 16MB machine.
 > If the kernel were any larger, I couldn't run all those internet tools.
 > Well everything has a quarter gig these days -
 > do I really have to worry about people with 16mb machines?
 > I don't know.
That's a trick question right? I'm not sure, you could create a 2-disk set
with only the necessry tools on it.
If you do that correctly, you probably won't have lynx and ftp. But you
would have network/repairtools so that you at least can rescue yoru system
(or let someone do it).

 > Yes, but I'm on a nonstandard port.
 > The average hacker wouldn't think to go there.
 > Still, I might try to use ipchains
 > to make sure all the packets come from my box.
 > I have a static ip address,
 > so I can set this up.
 > Nobody's going to figure out how to spoof the ip addresses
 > during the short time that I'm connected to somebody else's box,
 > and once things are working over there,
 > I'll probably never have to make that particular connection again.
 > With a me-and-only-me ipchains rule, it's really quite safe.
If I intercept only one packet I know the source and estination-port, nmap
will let it show up as well.
SSH would be better, but too big for floppies I think.

 > loadlin I think.
 > But they just try to boot and put you up on a cd.
 > I don't think they give you a functional linux internet ready system
 > just from a couple of floppies.
 > Correct me if I'm wrong.
no, not loadlin but O forgot what it was.
Yes, you have to boot form 2 disks nowadays. Rescue.bbin and root.bin
The install-system a leasts holds some repair-tools and things like
ifconfig/route
if you'd strip-out the install (dbootstrap) utils, you might have a nice
basis.